Cant find bios files

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
ChinStrap
Cant find bios files

Post by ChinStrap » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I have the correct bios files and put them in the root of my sdcard, in my Downloads folder, even the root of my internal storage and a Downloads folder I made on my sdcard. No matter what, drastic gives the same error message about not finding the bios files. Please help?

Running 4.3 on a Galaxy S4 if that matters.

beansta

Re: Cant find bios files

Post by beansta » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 pm

edit: mine works now...had to redump the bios files from my DS
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

ChronoReverse

Post by ChronoReverse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 am

Check your bios checksums to see if they're correct:

The MD5's should be:

biosnds7.rom "DF692A80A5B1BC90728BC3DFC76CD948"
biosnds9.rom "A392174EB3E572FED6447E956BDE4B25"
firmware.bin "E45033D9B0FA6B0DE071292BBA7C9D13"

ChinStrap

Post by ChinStrap » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:23 am

Is that what the names of them should be? I renamed them to match the dialogue box names.

mr_loon

Post by mr_loon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:58 am

ChinStrap wrote:Is that what the names of them should be? I renamed them to match the dialogue box names.
Those are not the correct names, they should be named as per the dialogue box instructions in DraStic.

Not sure if the term 'SD Card' is causing confusion, my suspicion is that in this case SD Card means the internal flash memory (Which Android refers to as an SD Card) rather than a physical SD Card. Can't test this as my Nexus 7 does not have a physical SD Card. Good Luck.

beansta

Post by beansta » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Its the internal memory or 'sdcard0' on samsungs
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

adammo

Post by adammo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm

I had the same problem. Just put them in folder: \Android\data\com.dsemu.drastic\files\system
This will work though. ;)

XBATMAN1995X

Post by XBATMAN1995X » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:15 pm

ok you guys confuse me can someone please go step by step and help me out with this cause its really starting to piss me off i downloaded the apk of it and have the app downloaded on my phone and it says drastic requires the bio files please copy the bios to your download directory(which i dont know what that means) or send it to the root of my sd card im confused plz help and dont be assholes about it plz i just wanna play my games thats all i ask and i did what it said and it saidthe bio files cannot be found in download directory.
i have the proper bio files
nds bios arm7.bin
nds bios arm9.bin
nds firmware.bin
but it still doesnt work plz help.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:34 pm

If you bought it from the play store then you should have the high level emulated bios files thst exo made.

So unless you messed around with your drastic folder they should be there.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:03 pm

TkSilver wrote:If you bought it from the play store then you should have the high level emulated bios files thst exo made.

So unless you messed around with your drastic folder they should be there.
(first, let me preface with apologizing if it looks like I'm always nitpicking your posts.. I like your posts a lot and just say this stuff since I feel you might find it interesting ;) Also, completely derailing a thread that's clearly whining about not being able to use ancient cracked versions)

DraStic's BIOSes are actually not really "high level", they're just custom BIOSes. If there was a way to change the BIOS on a real DS you could put them there and they'd work like they do on DraStic. Of course that's impossible, but you should be able to use them with other emulators. You probably wouldn't want to though.

DraStic is pretty unusual in this regard, most other emulators do use high level emulation to get around needing a BIOS. At the time I didn't want to do it this way because it seemed like it'd need some special attention to work with a recompiler. After some discussion on emutalk.net about HLEing GBA BIOSes it seems there could be tricks to get around this. But at the time it seemed like writing a new BIOS in ARM assembly would be the more straightforward and maintainable method. I was kind of a crunch where I had to do something ASAP because the volume of people who couldn't deal with the BIOS file requirements was too much to deal with, I was spending a few hours a day handling refunds.

The one big downside with this method is that it means any changes to the BIOS, even moving things around, can break savestates. Especially with the ARM7 BIOS because ARM7 is often in the BIOS handler waiting for an interrupt. Had I thought about this beforehand I would have laid out the BIOS a lot differently. Consequently, it means when I fixed bugs in the BIOS (there was one just recently) I've had to make some weird design decisions to try to mitigate these problems.