Reproducible crash in FFTA2 romhack

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
cloudropis
Reproducible crash in FFTA2 romhack

Post by cloudropis » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm playing this romhack for FFTA2. Simply downloading the .ups from the first post and applying it to any FFTA2 rom should do the trick.
This is the .dsv.

Steps for reproduction:

1) Load Slot 1 save data from the main menu
2) Move cursor to the location with the Blue Exclamation Point and press A
3) Place at least one unit in the green grid so that pressing X prompts to start the battle
4) Spam A to skip the short cutscene that follows
5) Let the AI units do their thing, no player input needed outside of choosing "Wait" whenever it's the player's unit's turn
6) Turn 3 the big bird boss should do an attack called Devour. Drastic will crash during its animation, same exact frame, 100% of the time

Notes: this is from a legally bought, up to date Drastic (downloaded it yesterday for the first time on this phone) on Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. I haven't used savestates at all until now (I made one just before the problematic attack in order to test faster), graphics options are default.

kaikun97

Re: Reproducible crash in FFTA2 romhack

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Would you be able to post the crash_dump.txt file after the crash? Its located in the Drastic folder.

cloudropis

Post by cloudropis » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:07 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:04 pm
Would you be able to post the crash_dump.txt file after the crash? Its located in the Drastic folder.
I... Can't seem to find it. Is it supposed to be in the root? There's nothing in there, nor inside any of the other folders.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 pm

cloudropis wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:07 pm
kaikun97 wrote:
I... Can't seem to find it. Is it supposed to be in the root? There's nothing in there, nor inside any of the other folders.
It's supposed to be in the root of the Drastic folder yes. If its not there in any file manager then Drastic didn't generate a crash log.

Is this only occuring with the patched version of the game?

cloudropis

Post by cloudropis » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 pm
cloudropis wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:07 pm
kaikun97 wrote:
It's supposed to be in the root of the Drastic folder yes. If its not there in any file manager then Drastic didn't generate a crash log.

Is this only occuring with the patched version of the game?
That I don't know, I should start from scratch to tell. Luckily I know someone who started the vanilla game a few hours before me, so I'll be able to produce a vanilla save file at the same point in a few days at most, depending on when he sends it over to me.

Is there a setting that I have to turn on to generate reports or something? I'm gonna cause the crash again and see if anything happens

EDIT I just realized: it doesn't crash the entire emulator, it closes the ROM and sends me back to the Continue/Load new game/change options/exit drastic menu. Don't know if it helps

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 am

cloudropis wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm
EDIT I just realized: it doesn't crash the entire emulator, it closes the ROM and sends me back to the Continue/Load new game/change options/exit drastic menu. Don't know if it helps
Any emulation related crash should trigger it. Not sure why its not generating the crash dump, but be sure to see if it happens on the unpatched version indeed. If it does then that means its a compatibility issue.

cloudropis

Post by cloudropis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:55 pm

It will take me a few days until either my friend sends me that or I produce it myself, but sure I will try to check if it's the same on vanilla

EDIT in the meanwhile I tried doing this bit on Desmume by swapping the saves around and back and, I can confirm, THIS CRASH DOESN'T HAPPEN ON DESMUME. Hope it helps.

it-290

Post by it-290 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:29 am

I have exact same bug :(. Also paid version of drastic from Google Play. I hope developers look into it.

In the meantime, how do you move a save from drastic to desmemu?

EDIT:
1/ I managed to move saves to desmume on PC and back to drastic. I played the mission in question on PC and then transfer back save to Drastic. However, next few missions later there is another one "I Got a Bad Feeling" with exact same monster (Klesta), which uses Devour skill again - Drastic crashes exact same way. Ofc I moved saves again and played this mission on PC.
2/ I wonder if further in the game there will be more skills/animations that would cause the crash - I will be reporting them here. As there is a dedicated group of various Final Fantasy Tactics fans I guess developer should look into this issue to make FFT A2 experience flawless :-).
3/ As it is a little bit inconvenient I must state that playing on Drastic is the best experience in regards to NDS emulation. Especially with fast forward function.
4/ DEVS would you like to get saves just before the mission with the crash?

EDIT 2:
I didn't mention what device I am playing on if it matters - Samsung Galaxy S8.
Last edited by it-290 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:30 pm

I can reproduce this issue on ARM64, but not x86 (which is a good thing), so I should be able to try to locate what's causing the crash.
kaikun97 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 am
Any emulation related crash should trigger it. Not sure why its not generating the crash dump, but be sure to see if it happens on the unpatched version indeed. If it does then that means its a compatibility issue.
64-bit doesn't have the crash signal handling hooked up unfortunately.

it-290

Post by it-290 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:25 am

I found another crash in FFTA2. It's one of the clan training mission (Clan Trial - Negotiation-Teamwork, level 1 Speakers) when Hunter uses ability "Sidewinder" on Tonberry monster. It looks like it tries to start an animation and then crashes (every time). I managed to advance by not using this skill.

EDIT: looks like "Sidewinder" causes to crash also in other situations. I just play random encounter with monsters and every attempt of using "Sidewinder" skill causes DraStic to crash.