PS4 emu scam cashing in on PCSX2 name

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
PS4 emu scam cashing in on PCSX2 name

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:02 am

There's this DamonPS2 scum lifting assets off the project and running away unscathed, and then there is this:
hxxps://pcsx4.com

Heck, they even went so far as to making up a phony Github repo or two to add verisimilitude to their bullshit. Not to mention that their official Facebook page is either comprised of gullible "fans" or perhaps this was a like-farmed page bought off the black market or dark web.

dsattorney

Re: PS4 emu scam cashing in on PCSX2 name

Post by dsattorney » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 am

This looks pretty real to me.
OBJECTION!

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 am

dsattorney wrote:This looks pretty real to me.
Considering the amount of effort they made, down to the fake Github repo. I already brought the issue over to Github but no action has been taken yet.

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:11 am

Nobody can take you out of your idea, can they?
OBJECTION!

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am

Ignoring the fact that you confused me for a second by putting "hxxps" instead of "https", making me think there was something wrong with my connection ( just wanna mention that those letters aren't close to one another on a standard QWERTY keyboard)...

Yeah, I agree with dsattorney. Looks pretty legit, no one would go so far as to make a fancy ass site for this complete with PS4 clip art and moving geometrical shapes that even move away from your cursor when you hover over them. (Tbh, it's actually a pretty cool looking site.) And most to all fake emulators claim that it can run any game at full speed (I remember a fake Switch emulator claiming it could run Zelda BOTW in 4K), this one says it can only run a few full speed (most likely less demanding 2D titles).

What exactly makes you say it's fake?

EDIT: Actually, no, it's fake. I just Googled it and everyone says it's fake.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:12 pm

The fact that the download requires a survey completion and the github account contains no repos related to any sort of emulator, its fake for sure. This is a very well-done and thought out scam to earn some quick buck from the surveys.

Everything has been done down to the finest detail and it would certainly fool even intermediate emulation users.
dsattorney wrote:This looks pretty real to me.
You'll be surprised the lengths that some people go these days to cash in on foul play. I hope something is done about this either way.

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, as the saying says, not everything that shines is gold.
OBJECTION!

Platybus

Post by Platybus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:There's this DamonPS2 scum lifting assets off the project and running away unscathed, and then there is this:
https://pcsx4.com

Heck, they even went so far as to making up a phony Github repo or two to add verisimilitude to their bullshit. Not to mention that their official Facebook page is either comprised of gullible "fans" or perhaps this was a like-farmed page bought off the black market or dark web.
Thank you very much for reporting this situation. There is no remedy but to stay aware of project that blooms out there.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Behold my mighty

CasovoJ

Post by CasovoJ » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:42 am

Hello mate

This emulator is a big scam, i tried to download it and as verification i had to fill out a survey
after the survey i got a download folder but my virus detection said it was dangerous so I removed it..

After this i searched about ps4 emulator scam and found this page: https://guidestorm.com/scam-alert/ps4-emulator/
It turns out that they receive money for the time I fill out the survey and they just lie to their users..

regards...