ASUS ROG Phone

Post whatever!
MrPocketGamer98
ASUS ROG Phone

Post by MrPocketGamer98 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:26 pm

It would be dope af to be able to play DraStic with this phone. Has support for two screens which is perfect for a Nintendo DS Emulator :o

Link to Source: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/ro ... 202829148/
Check out my Emulator Test Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpocketgamer98

SSUPII

Re: ASUS ROG Phone

Post by SSUPII » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:23 am

If the second screen is seen as an external screen Drastic should support it. Settings for external screens can be found in Options/Video/

That smartphone is like a dream, I really want it :(
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:11 am

I saw that thing on Unbox Therapy. Two screens and no buttons? Fail.
Seriously, gaming on a touchscreen with on-screen buttons is about as uncomfortable as sleeping in sub-zero temperatures in your underwear. (I'm terrible at analogies, but you get the point.) Some physical buttons on that attachment would work wonders. Twin joysticks, face and shoulder buttons, a good D-pad, etc.
Seriously, I'm just not a fan of the design. It just looks so clunky and a pain in the ass to use, like an overpowered yet poorly thought out 2DS. Reminds me of the Nvidia SHIELD portable, which I don't think did that well. (At last that had physical controls.)
However, I'd love to see the horsepower on that phone. I hope it's good for Dolphin, it'd be nice to play Zelda or Melee in a portable form factor... with shitty on-screen controls... yay...
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend that phone to anyone who likes tactile controls. At least not without making them carry around a MOGA controller or something wherever they go. I'm just surprised companies want to make gaming phones, there's not really a market for them. Why would you need enhanced graphics processors and liquid cooling in your cellphone? In order to play shitty mobile games in 4K or something? (Insert obligatory Fortnite joke here)
This thing would be better used for things like on-the-go video editing and stuff like that, things that require good horsepower but can get away with touchscreen controls. (And video editing needs plenty of extra screen real estate, I speak from experience.)

In short, I'm not gonna buy this monstrosity, but I can see the appeal.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

captaingreenhat

Post by captaingreenhat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am

Got the phone this week. it's a beast. can confirm that both screens work as dreamed for the twin view accessory. However, game are very unplayable as there is currently no way to move the touch screen controls down to the second screen. this phone does handle ALL android emulators flawlessly. I highly recommend the game vice controller but everything else comes off as good but not necessary. The twin view is great but I don't it no physical buttons and three times and he weight of a new 3ds it can be cumbersome. I'm sure this could handle future citra or even ryujinx builds if they get ported. This phone is a treat and one I'll want to have around for at least a decade.

FYI the twin view has it's own SD card slot, almost like Asus wants to us it as a ds. If anyone at team drastic reads this, please allow putting the buttons on the bottom screen.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 pm

captaingreenhat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am
Got the phone this week. it's a beast. can confirm that both screens work as dreamed for the twin view accessory. However, game are very unplayable as there is currently no way to move the touch screen controls down to the second screen. this phone does handle ALL android emulators flawlessly. I highly recommend the game vice controller but everything else comes off as good but not necessary. The twin view is great but I don't it no physical buttons and three times and he weight of a new 3ds it can be cumbersome. I'm sure this could handle future citra or even ryujinx builds if they get ported. This phone is a treat and one I'll want to have around for at least a decade.

FYI the twin view has it's own SD card slot, almost like Asus wants to us it as a ds. If anyone at team drastic reads this, please allow putting the buttons on the bottom screen.
Ignoring the fact that you zombied an old thread (AKA posting on an old thread with no activity, please don't do that)...

It's nice to know that the two screen solution works! It'd be nice for Exophase (the creator of DraStic) to add support for this, but considering it's a feature for just one specific phone model, i'd say it's pretty down on the priority list. I'll run it by them though, maybe it's a quick fix.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Kostas Gangstar

Post by Kostas Gangstar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:23 pm

Now there's a rog phone 2 and it runs some games very fast in the latest unofficial Citra :o

Rog phone 3 will probably play switch games next year

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 pm

Kostas Gangstar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:23 pm
That is too much, you currently need a very high end pc to run a Switch emulator and will be like so for at leats a couple of years
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

MK73DS

Post by MK73DS » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:40 pm

The same was said for Yuzu to boot games. I don't know how but this emulator is growing SO fast. I think you can't make prediction like that, maybe they'll surprise us in one or two years !

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 am

SSUPII wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 pm
Kostas Gangstar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:23 pm
That is too much, you currently need a very high end pc to run a Switch emulator and will be like so for at leats a couple of years
To be fair this situation *could* be different considering the Switch uses an Android compatible nvidia Tegra chipset. Its not out the question to consider some form of HLE or virtualisation the future. This isn't taking into account the switch's security and encryption features either.

What is not feasible is a regular Android phone running switch games.

Considering the switch is using an overclocked Tegra X11 chipset, you're going to need an Android device just as powerful, if not, a little bit more to actually run such games. At it currently stands, the only devices that meet these requirements are the Nvidia Tegra Shield devices. Not even the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon Chipset is faster than the Tegra X11. Thats just how it works there isn't anything you can optimise if your device is less powerful than the switch.

MK73DS

Post by MK73DS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 pm

It uses an *underclocked* tegra X11. That's why it is so easy to overclock the Switch for example.
But in a few years, high end smartphones will become as powerful as a Switch, they maybe already are. If emulation was 1:1 in terms of performance, Switch games will be everywhere on Android ^^