My Game save is ruined...help

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
kelvinleeyukting
My Game save is ruined...help

Post by kelvinleeyukting » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:44 am

Hi everyone, I've played Pokemon Heart Gold for several days...
but suddenly, the screen freezed...
I reload the save, the screen turns black, but with game sound playing...so strange
I reload the save again and again, the situation just repeats...
then I try to save the game...
but when I load the save, the screen turns white a while,
then reject to load anything, and back to the first page of the emulator...
what's wrong with my save?

the save file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wA0O ... sp=sharing

my phone spec:
android 4.4.2
HTC butterfly s

TkSilver

Re: My Game save is ruined...help

Post by TkSilver » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Unfortunately you will have to wait for exo or lordus to look at your savestate to maybe understand what went worng, but I can offer some advice.

Savestates ae really convenient to use since they work anywhere, but they should probably not be your only type of save. Since savestates literally save the state of the emulator at the time they are made odd issues get carried forward and can eventually cause a non recoverable crash every time the state is loaded. It is generally a good practice to make cartridge saves (the normal saves a DS makes) regularly and to load a new session from that when ever you come back after a while. With pokemon it is eqsy since you can save at almost any time. Cartridge saves have the nice advantage of only saving certain values and only loading those saved values when you load the save. This helps reduce the number of glitches that are carried over from one session of play to the other.

kelvinleeyukting

Post by kelvinleeyukting » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm

TkSilver wrote:Unfortunately you will have to wait for exo or lordus to look at your savestate to maybe understand what went worng, but I can offer some advice.

Savestates ae really convenient to use since they work anywhere, but they should probably not be your only type of save. Since savestates literally save the state of the emulator at the time they are made odd issues get carried forward and can eventually cause a non recoverable crash every time the state is loaded. It is generally a good practice to make cartridge saves (the normal saves a DS makes) regularly and to load a new session from that when ever you come back after a while. With pokemon it is eqsy since you can save at almost any time. Cartridge saves have the nice advantage of only saving certain values and only loading those saved values when you load the save. This helps reduce the number of glitches that are carried over from one session of play to the other.
Thanks, now I play the game with your advice, it works properly so far...

Kostas Gangstar

Post by Kostas Gangstar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 am

Am i the only one who never uses save states in any emulator :D

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Kostas Gangstar wrote:Am i the only one who never uses save states in any emulator :D
I use them all the time.... in fact next to consolidating my collection (having better access to my collection of games in more convenient ways) I would say that savestates are the other reason I love emulation.

This is less of an issue with most portable systems and their games but some older and even new games have horrible save systems. Save points (some more poorly spaced out then others), limited slots (sometimes one), ironman (no save) challenges that unlock content. Those are just a few things that make me wish every console and pc game had savestate functionality.