New UI feedback

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Fefo
New UI feedback

Post by Fefo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Looks like DraStic made the "material" jump. Not much changed this time, at least on a KitKat phone, but the main feature from material apps came in full force. Please, PLEASE add a dark theme asap; dunno if Lua can do any theming but something to remove this blinding whites is welcome.

A minor peeve but you forgot to change the notification icon, or used the new one there without the circle background (much better imo).

Thank you.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Re: New UI feedback

Post by TkSilver » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm

I would be highly in favor of a different color scheme if possible as well, especially since amoled screens use far less power to display dark/nlack color themes. Also it is nicer on your eyes in a darkened room.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 am

Fefo wrote:Looks like DraStic made the "material" jump. Not much changed this time, at least on a KitKat phone, but the main feature from material apps came in full force. Please, PLEASE add a dark theme asap; dunno if Lua can do any theming but something to remove this blinding whites is welcome.

A minor peeve but you forgot to change the notification icon, or used the new one there without the circle background (much better imo).

Thank you.
Is it because black wallpaper saves battery? I heard it does so for AMOLED Screens. or something related to the theme being dark?

I love the new icon update

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:21 am

Saving battery is a useful side-effect. Having your content as the focus is to me the most sensible reason; why should you light an entire board to show two phrases there, when you can light the words and leave uninportant things out of focus? This, coupled with the inferior content density of Google's Material design is very jarring.

The icon's light blue background just looked out of place. Dunno if it's the same icon on the notification, but without it it's much simpler and effective. Not that I know anything about iconography or art, nor that I expect key changes at random; just sharing my opinion.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Kyousuke753 wrote: Is it because black wallpaper saves battery? I heard it does so for AMOLED Screens. or something related to the theme being dark?

Little technical knowledge here.
AmoLED (active matrix organic light emitting diode, for anyone curious) can be thought of as millions and millions of little LED lights. Red blue and green LED lights. Now certain colors (anything that requires mixing of colors) require more LED lights to be lit at one time and therefore draw more power. White is particularly draning for amoled screens. Black (well true black color #000000) saves massive amounts of power because all three color lights are turned off. For an example switching to redit's black theme can save on average 41% power over it's default light theme. Though for DraStic in particular unless you live in the menus or you really like looking at the title screen it probably will not make thst much difference in power consumption.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display, for the still curious) can be thought of as (massive oversimplification incoming) film over a projector. All LCD screens need some source of backlighting to show anything at all. The "Film" (matrix of liquid crystals) alters the backlight to show colors in a similar way to how a movie film alters the light coming out of a projector to show a movie on the big screen. In fact you can take old laptop or monitor screens and turn them into projectors fairly easily. Now due to the fact that the backlight has to be on all the time for anything to show up at all (though some versions of the technology use led backlighting to lower brightness in areas of the screen that do not require as much brightness) having an all black screen will not save any power. Depending on the setup, an all black screen might take more power then an all white screen ( the power for the backlighting and the power to change the matrix). Yet again the amount of time people look at the menus and title screen of DraStic is likely to render any power savings or loss to be very minimal.

So basically the answer is simply it depends on the exact device but odds are even though screen on time is the biggest power draw on most mobile devices the theme of DraStic will likely cause little to no actualized difference in run time.

Personally I just prefer dark themes to light ones and especially in darker rooms.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 pm

My smartphone has LCD display, crappy resolution, but there is a root app to change DPI so yeah.
Last edited by Kyousuke753 on Mon May 02, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:34 am

TkSilver wrote:
Kyousuke753 wrote: Is it because black wallpaper saves battery? I heard it does so for AMOLED Screens. or something related to the theme being dark?

Little technical knowledge here.
AmoLED (active matrix organic light emitting diode, for anyone curious) can be thought of as millions and millions of little LED lights. Red blue and green LED lights. Now certain colors (anything that requires mixing of colors) require more LED lights to be lit at one time and therefore draw more power. White is particularly draning for amoled screens. Black (well true black color #000000) saves massive amounts of power because all three color lights are turned off. For an example switching to redit's black theme can save on average 41% power over it's default light theme. Though for DraStic in particular unless you live in the menus or you really like looking at the title screen it probably will not make thst much difference in power consumption.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display, for the still curious) can be thought of as (massive oversimplification incoming) film over a projector. All LCD screens need some source of backlighting to show anything at all. The "Film" (matrix of liquid crystals) alters the backlight to show colors in a similar way to how a movie film alters the light coming out of a projector to show a movie on the big screen. In fact you can take old laptop or monitor screens and turn them into projectors fairly easily. Now due to the fact that the backlight has to be on all the time for anything to show up at all (though some versions of the technology use led backlighting to lower brightness in areas of the screen that do not require as much brightness) having an all black screen will not save any power. Depending on the setup, an all black screen might take more power then an all white screen ( the power for the backlighting and the power to change the matrix). Yet again the amount of time people look at the menus and title screen of DraStic is likely to render any power savings or loss to be very minimal.

So basically the answer is simply it depends on the exact device but odds are even though screen on time is the biggest power draw on most mobile devices the theme of DraStic will likely cause little to no actualized difference in run time.

Personally I just prefer dark themes to light ones and especially in darker rooms.
i would like to point out that amoled uses a pentile matrix instead or the regular rgb so its actually four lights that powers off.
Behold my mighty

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 am

Jay Haru wrote: i would like to point out that amoled uses a pentile matrix instead or the regular rgb so its actually four lights that powers off.
Unless you are talking about the RGBW pentile amoled displays used mainly on some laprops and very few Motorola phones (like the atrix 4g), pentile amoled only has 3 colors R B and G

Or Are you talking about RG-BG vs RBG-RBG. In reality that is closer to saying 2 lights (subpixels) turn off rather then the usual 3 or 4 rather then the usual 6, since it would end up as a line of red sub/green sub-blue/sub green sub, instead of red sub/blue sub/green sub-red sub/blue sub/green sub.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:55 am

Well if you guys are really going for a full Material-esque scheme you should more or less do away with the flourishes and use simpler fonts. There's a chock-full of UI examples on the web, but of course a reasonable deviation from the scheme would do wonders so it wouldn't look like as if you just jumped onto the flat Metro/flat UI bandwagon.