I got a new phone. How do I transfer the saves?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
gamea12
I got a new phone. How do I transfer the saves?

Post by gamea12 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Hello. I upgraded to the s7 edge recently and brought my data over using Samsung's smartswitch app. The only problem is that it doesn't seem like it brought along my saves. How do I bring those over?

Kyousuke753

Re: I got a new phone. How do I transfer the saves?

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 pm

1. Did you upload your Savestates onto Google Drive and manually create a folder called Savestates?
Drastic Menu>Change options>Google Drive

2. Did you make a backup of the Backup folder and Savestates folder from your old phone to your PC?
Drastic folder>Backup and Savestates folder TAKE THESE 2 OUT AND TRANSFER TO YOUR PC VIA USB CABLE.

3. Is the Savestates still on your old phone with Drastic installed?
Old phone>USB Cable>PC/Laptop>USB Cable>New phone

4. Is the Drastic folder on your internal or external (SD CARD) storage?
Unmount SD CARD>Take it out>Put in new phone

If you uploaded your saves onto Google Drive transferring it will make life easy within the Drastic app settings.

If Drastic was installed on your SD CARD then simply put it into your new phone SD CARD SLOT.

If the 1st and 4th option doesn't work for you, then only the 2nd option and 3rd option is best for you. :)

DRASTIC DOESN'T AUTO TRANSFER YOUR SAVES WHEN INSTALLED ON NEW PHONE THAT IS YOUR JOB TO DO ALSO DON'T RENAME THE SAVESTATES THEY MUST MATCH WITH THE ROM NAME. sorry for caps :)

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 am

Samsung smart switch does not transfer app data and specifically app data stored in a non traditional location like what drastic does.

The folder that houses all of DraStic's data is in the deafult internal storage directory (the one that also houses the android folder and data folder and all the other things like the music folder)
And the in game saves are in DraStic/Backups
Savestates are stored in DraStic/savestates

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:57 pm

But the Drastic folder can be in external storage yes? Becuz it worked when my SD card wasn't corrupt.

I never tried a smart watch or know how it works.

Isn't it easier to upload via Google Drive most time efficient and convenient way?

Or move the Drastic folder onto his SD card and put into his new phone, it should work too. I remember you answered someone's thread about transferring saves he said he would use an SD card.

Lastly the old way with a PC/Laptop.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:49 pm

Kyousuke753 wrote:But the Drastic folder can be in external storage yes? Becuz it worked when my SD card wasn't corrupt.

Isn't it easier to upload via Google Drive most time efficient and convenient way?

Or move the Drastic folder onto his SD card and put into his new phone, it should work too. I remember you answered someone's thread about transferring saves he said he would use an SD card.

Unless you have an android device that lets you redirect internal memory to sdcard I don't think there is a way to make DraStic read a folder in external storage rather then in internal storage

As far as methods.

Google drive can be effective assuming the person is comfortable using it (many people don't know how to use a dropbox/gdrive like service with data stored on a device).

SDcards can be a very fast and effective way of transfering data, with the bonus of not requireing any external device (computer or even internet connection). The only issue is.... well google hates it's customer base.... sorry I ment googke hates sdcard usage and actively promotes the removal of sdcard slots from android phones. So there are plenty of devices with no card ability.

And lastly the pc does work assuming you still have one and it is capable of reading whatever device you connect to it.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:52 pm

additionally, you can use an app called shareit. granted both phones require to have the same app but its really convenient when you want to transfer files and bluetooth is darn slow.
Behold my mighty

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:55 pm

TkSilver wrote:
Kyousuke753 wrote:But the Drastic folder can be in external storage yes? Becuz it worked when my SD card wasn't corrupt.

Unless you have an android device that lets you redirect internal memory to sdcard I don't think there is a way to make DraStic read a folder in external storage rather then in internal storage

As far as methods.

Google drive can be effective assuming the person is comfortable using it (many people don't know how to use a dropbox/gdrive like service with data stored on a device).

SDcards can be a very fast and effective way of transfering data, with the bonus of not requireing any external device (computer or even internet connection). The only issue is.... well google hates it's customer base.... sorry I ment googke hates sdcard usage and actively promotes the removal of sdcard slots from android phones. So there are plenty of devices with no card ability.

And lastly the pc does work assuming you still have one and it is capable of reading whatever device you connect to it.
Ah yes both my smartphone ZTE BLADE Q LUX AND HUAWEI ASCEND Y635 have sd card access before they were even rooted or needed any app in Google Play store to unlock full access to SD card, cuz they both got sd slots.

WAIT WAIT WAIT...HOLD ON...I JUST REALISED MY SISTERS SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE HAS NO SD CARD SLOT AS TO WHY IT'S 16GB INTERNAL STORAGE...YOU'RE RIGHT TKSILVER...sorry I only assumed she had an SD Card slot all this time because I haven't seen her plugin her phone to laptop via USB cable in a while. I assumed it was accessing the external storage when it was actually internal.

So he can still do it either Google Drive really simple...open up a browser>Google Drive>Login>Click re NEW button and click folder simple...

or just plugin his old phone to laptop and transfer it onto there, then plug in his new phone and transfer it over...done.