Drastic r2.4.0.1a keeps closing and going to main menu

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Exophase
Re: Drastic r2.4.0.1a keeps closing and going to main menu

Post by Exophase » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:12 pm

That crash dump looks like it could actually be an error in the emulator code, and one that wouldn't have been present in an older version - but we're talking significantly older.

It happens when you load the savestate, right? Could you attach the savestate?

Werty

Post by Werty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:07 am

Actually the problem occurs when I try to select a game using the 'load new game' option and even though I have a recent savestate the 'continue' option is permanently greyed out.
On the very rare occasion that a game does start using the 'load new game' option, attempting to access the options screen using the little grey triangle button on the top/bottom of the screen also causes the problem. Back when I was able to access the options saving and loading a savestate would work perfectly and I could always select the 'continue option in the main menu.
Regardless of all this I've attached the savestate.
(Sorry about the long winded explanation, I'm just trying to be more clear than I was in my original post.)
Attachments
5821 - Dragon Quest Monsters - Joker 2 (U)_8.dss
(2.19MiB)Downloaded 373 times

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 am

Werty wrote:Actually the problem occurs when I try to select a game using the 'load new game' option and even though I have a recent savestate the 'continue' option is permanently greyed out.
On the very rare occasion that a game does start using the 'load new game' option, attempting to access the options screen using the little grey triangle button on the top/bottom of the screen also causes the problem. Back when I was able to access the options saving and loading a savestate would work perfectly and I could always select the 'continue option in the main menu.
Regardless of all this I've attached the savestate.
(Sorry about the long winded explanation, I'm just trying to be more clear than I was in my original post.)
im downloading this and will check if i will get the error. depending if i had the rom already, it may take 24 to 72 hours to respond again

UPDATE:

I was able to load the game and the savestate (i selected new game and chose 'load other save'. i was actually able to get into a battle and finish it without any problems). TURD died tho coz... turd...

I am using the current build by the way (82)
Behold my mighty

Werty

Post by Werty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:16 am

Haha I thought that Turd was an appropriate name for a monstrous log:)
So where does this leave the investigation?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:40 pm

I tested the savestate too and I don't see any issues with it. But I guess that's moot if you can't load it in the first place.

The crash looks like it happens shortly after the game starts running. While the crash happens during the game emulation and may be something that shouldn't be causing a crash, that's most likely a red herring - if it didn't crash the emulator the game itself would probably still be broken because it's doing something that I doubt it's supposed to be doing. This could be happening if the ROM is bad or somehow appears bad after it's been loaded.

Before going further we should make sure that the ROM is a verified correct dump by getting an md5 checksum of the (uncompressed) file. This can be done with an app like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .md5&hl=en

Werty

Post by Werty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Is this what you mean:4c1c41fa75191e2bb22a40f7e34f4e68?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes, thanks. It looks like that's the correct md5sum (http://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php ... =28&n=5821) so that's not the issue either...

You don't have any cheats enabled, right? Can you check by turning off the enable cheats option entirely?

Werty

Post by Werty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Lordus had me try loading a game from a shortcut and when I did everything worked perfectly. I can even change game once in a game loaded from a shortcut, but the problem still persists when I open Drastic and try to load from the main menu regardless of which game I try to load...

Werty

Post by Werty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Oh and cheats are disabled as well.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Werty wrote:Lordus had me try loading a game from a shortcut and when I did everything worked perfectly. I can even change game once in a game loaded from a shortcut, but the problem still persists when I open Drastic and try to load from the main menu regardless of which game I try to load...
Well that's weird, but certainly narrows things down a lot. Also is most likely some strange Android issue, so I'll let Lordus deal with that more.

At least this should give you a workaround for now.