Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword Lag.

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
talos91
Re: Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword Lag.

Post by talos91 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:12 am

Just tested it in a nvidia shield and the game still slows down, so it is not a insufficient hardware problem.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:05 pm

talos91 wrote:Just tested it in a nvidia shield and the game still slows down, so it is not a insufficient hardware problem.
It's because of translation cache thrashing. There's a fix for it in place, but it's not in the recent update because that was a small and unplanned for hotfix to address some new crashes and we didn't want to put too many other changes into it (but this one may not have been a bad idea)

talos91

Post by talos91 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:49 pm

Exophase wrote:
talos91 wrote:Just tested it in a nvidia shield and the game still slows down, so it is not a insufficient hardware problem.
It's because of translation cache thrashing. There's a fix for it in place, but it's not in the recent update because that was a small and unplanned for hotfix to address some new crashes and we didn't want to put too many other changes into it (but this one may not have been a bad idea)
Thanks for the clarification, it is great to hear you already have a fix for it, great job, hoping it comes soon.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 pm

So I just re tested the Dragon boss fight and there is definitely a big improvement.

From dropping to 34-40% it now only drops to 85% or maybe 70% but it still feels fairly smooth even with the drop unlike other times you get that kind of a swing ao real stuttering or noticeable slowdown.

talos91

Post by talos91 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:29 pm

TkSilver wrote:So I just re tested the Dragon boss fight and there is definitely a big improvement.

From dropping to 34-40% it now only drops to 85% or maybe 70% but it still feels fairly smooth even with the drop unlike other times you get that kind of a swing ao real stuttering or noticeable slowdown.
Wow really? Are you using a beta version or something? I haven't recieved any update notifications in googleplay.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:03 pm

talos91 wrote: Wow really? Are you using a beta version or something? I haven't recieved any update notifications in googleplay.
Yep, I have been using the beta version for over a year. I started using it right around the time the high resolution update was about to be beta tested. So the improvement is in 2.5.0.0 (assuming it does not cause all the devices running it to explode or something detrimental but less flashy like breaking some games).

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun May 01, 2016 12:08 am

Correct, the modification is in the beta.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 am

Exophase wrote:Correct, the modification is in the beta.
Nice work, btw. Did this same issue pop up in any other games as far as you could tell or was it limited to ninja gaiden ds?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 am

TkSilver wrote:Nice work, btw. Did this same issue pop up in any other games as far as you could tell or was it limited to ninja gaiden ds?
I don't know yet if it changed anything else. There was a similar issue in one of the two Zelda games but I don't think I have the means to reproduce it so I'll have to see if it comes up.

It was a very simple change at any rate. Not any kind of actual optimization, just tweaking a heuristic for failsafe on cutting translated blocks short.