Drastic r2.4.0.1a keeps closing and going to main menu

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Werty
Drastic r2.4.0.1a keeps closing and going to main menu

Post by Werty » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:23 pm

I bought the app months ago and for the most part it's been great. However it's always has this issue where when I try to load a new game or an old save or just at seemingly random times it either returns to the main menu or closes completely.
Recently though it's gotten a lot worse to the point where drastic is almost unusable.
I can't access the "continue" option even though I have saved states and the app almost always closes when I attempt to load a game. Additionally trying to enter the options screen when a game finally is playing makes it close without fail.
As I'm sure you can imagine, this is incredibly irritating.
Thank you in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Exophase

Re: Drastic r2.4.0.1a keeps closing and going to main menu

Post by Exophase » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Well it definitely seems pretty broken. What games are you playing? Are they large (256MB or 512MB) ROMs? Does it happen with both zipped and unzipped ROMs? And are you running from internal storage or an SD card?

Werty

Post by Werty » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks for such a speedy reply I hope you will forgive my late response...
To answer your questions: all my roms are less than 256 mb, zipped or not zipped doesn't seem to make a difference and I am using internal storage.
Something I forgot to mention was that the problem only got really bad after playing metal slug 7.
I've since deleted metal slug and reinstalled drastic to no avail...

Werty

Post by Werty » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:44 pm

I've just found someone with the same problem as me: Subject: drastic demo for htc one m8.
We both use HTC M8 So it must be a compatibility issue. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Do you know/remember if Android or any of HTC's software was updated between when you started seeing problems? A basic compatibility issue with the hardware wouldn't have resulted in the issue gradually getting worse. It also doesn't really make sense that it'd get permanently worse after running some particular game, unless something bad happened somewhere else on your device.

The best thing in this case would be to see if we can get some more information from the crash, but I will leave it to Lordus to talk to you more about that. But it will involve looking at the crash file (if it's generated).

In the mean time, some things to look at/try:

1) How much free RAM is there? Does it help if you close other running tihngs? Free RAM can be seen in settings->apps->running.
2) Try closing other running things in general, as much as possible, just to attempt to isolate the influence of other programs.
3) Are you able to run a game off of an SD card instead of internal memory? If so, does it make any difference?

Werty

Post by Werty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Thinking back there may have been a software update around the time where the issues became worse.
Unfortunately I can't provide a crash file because it doesn't crash, it just closes the game and returns to Drastic's start menu and either closes or minimizes the emulator.
I'll try everything you suggested, thanks for all your assistance exophase.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Please check if 'Do not keep activities' is enabled in the Android developer settings on your phone (it shouldn't be).
Then see if there is a file named 'crash_dump.txt' inside the 'DraStic' folder on your internal memory, and attach it here, if there is one.
Also, make sure that 'multi-threaded 3D' is not enabled in the app's video settings.

The device is quite common among our users, and I don't remember any complaints specific to that phone.
We had one user with the same device, and practically the same problems, but they went away after deleting some stuff from the SD-card (which had been almost full).

Werty

Post by Werty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Lordus.
It seems there is a crash file, I'm attempting to upload it but the site says "The extension txt is not allowed." What do I do?
I had a look and neither 'Do not keep activities' or 'multi-threaded 3D' are enabled.
I also checked what Exophase asked me to,I've got aprox 1.1 gigs of free RAM and I closed everything that could be closed and tried running it from an sd card and there was no difference.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:45 pm

I've enabled .txt attachment for the forum. Could you try attaching again?

If it doesn't work you can also try pasting it to a site like pastebin.com.

Werty

Post by Werty » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't really understand what to do with pastebin...
I've managed to attach crash dump as .rtf, is that alright?
Attachments
crash_dump.rtf
(1.82KiB)Downloaded 335 times