Cutscenes play at 2x speed in Kirby Super Star Ultra

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
delta7890
Cutscenes play at 2x speed in Kirby Super Star Ultra

Post by delta7890 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi there,

I'm playing this game on a Verizon version Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I've had no problems with any emulation thus far, but I noticed that the cutscenes in Kirby Super Star Ultra play veeeery quickly, about twice as fast as they should. The audio plays at normal speed, but the visuals fly right by. Actual gameplay has no such speed issues.

ericbazinga

Re: Cutscenes play at 2x speed in Kirby Super Star Ultra

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:57 pm

delta7890 wrote:Hi there,

I'm playing this game on a Verizon version Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I've had no problems with any emulation thus far, but I noticed that the cutscenes in Kirby Super Star Ultra play veeeery quickly, about twice as fast as they should. The audio plays at normal speed, but the visuals fly right by. Actual gameplay has no such speed issues.
I think that's normal speed, if you're talking about the opening cutscene in Spring Breeze it's fast by default.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

delta7890

Post by delta7890 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Having played the game extensively on Windows-based emulators, I can tell you that it definitely isn't right.

The biggest indicator is the hidden "blooper reel" cutscene. The video plays so fast that the audio cues (such as the laugh track) don't match up. Again, the audio is playing at the proper speed, but the video isn't. Perhaps this is unique to my hardware.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:40 am

ericbazinga wrote:

I think that's normal speed, if you're talking about the opening cutscene in Spring Breeze it's fast by default.
Tested this on a Real DS with an R4 card and it it plays Normal speed, not fast, so this is a Drastic DS bug. Its playing the cutscenes at 60fps and it should not be that fast

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:23 am

kaikun97 wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:

Tested this on a Real DS with an R4 card and it it plays Normal speed, not fast, so this is a Drastic DS bug. Its playing the cutscenes at 60fps and it should not be that fast
What version of DraStic do you have, delta7890?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:38 pm

It's a timing accuracy issue, unfortunately. For comparison, if you try it on DeSmuME with advanced bus-level timing enabled (which is supposed to make timing more accurate) it'll actually make the cut scenes too slow. I suspect the actual issue is an extreme sensitivity to VRAM write timing or something like that.

I can add a timing exception for the game, I'm just worried about it breaking something else since the cutscene issue isn't terribly major.

delta7890

Post by delta7890 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:38 pm

ericbazinga wrote:What version of DraStic do you have, delta7890?
I'm using r2.4.0.1a

In the grand scheme of things it's not a terrible bug. Simply something I noticed and wouldn't mind seeing fixed if possible. :D