The state of DraStic and its future

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
tomkatt
Re: The state of DraStic and its future

Post by tomkatt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 am

Glad to hear things are moving forward, and sorry to hear you haven't been able to reach Lordus. I hope he's okay.

Would you mind if I (or would you) post a link to this on the emulation subreddit to notify the community over there? The info about DraStic potentially coming to PC/Linux/Windows in the future is exciting, and would be welcome news there. You have a lot of supporters there and at EmulationOnAndroid as well. IMO DraStic is a fantastic example of an emulator done right, and a lot of folks seem to feel the same.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am

So if and when DraStic becomes open source, are you still gonna charge for it? Kinda hard to charge for something you could easily clone yourself.

And of course, I hope Lordus is doing well too. (Until he gets back, though, got any ideas for a replacement Android programmer?)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 am

ericbazinga wrote:So if and when DraStic becomes open source, are you still gonna charge for it? Kinda hard to charge for something you could easily clone yourself.

And of course, I hope Lordus is doing well too. (Until he gets back, though, got any ideas for a replacement Android programmer?)
I highly doubt he will. maybe a donation thing like ppsspp but not as it is right now. except prolly if he wakes one day and just creates the wifi multiplayer a reality.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:55 pm

tomkatt wrote:Glad to hear things are moving forward, and sorry to hear you haven't been able to reach Lordus. I hope he's okay.

Would you mind if I (or would you) post a link to this on the emulation subreddit to notify the community over there? The info about DraStic potentially coming to PC/Linux/Windows in the future is exciting, and would be welcome news there. You have a lot of supporters there and at EmulationOnAndroid as well. IMO DraStic is a fantastic example of an emulator done right, and a lot of folks seem to feel the same.
I don't know if this is really that interesting/relevant for r/emulation. I honestly expect that I'd get backlash for it, kind of rightfully, but that shouldn't stop you from posting it if you think it's appropriate.
ericbazinga wrote:So if and when DraStic becomes open source, are you still gonna charge for it? Kinda hard to charge for something you could easily clone yourself.
I don't want to commit to anything here, but I generally think selling an open source emulator doesn't really make that much sense. If people bought it it'd probably be because they didn't realize they could get it for free and that's not exactly the kind of business model I'd want to have.
ericbazinga wrote:And of course, I hope Lordus is doing well too. (Until he gets back, though, got any ideas for a replacement Android programmer?)
xperia64 is filling that role right now, although I don't know what he'd like to do longer term.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:03 am

Exophase wrote:
I don't want to commit to anything here, but I generally think selling an open source emulator doesn't really make that much sense. If people bought it it'd probably be because they didn't realize they could get it for free and that's not exactly the kind of business model I'd want to have.
Not unless if it's the likes of PPSSPP or Wine where a donate-if-you-want model is in place. Wine is for free, but as a form of revenue to further drive development a premium version called CrossOver is also being offered.

Mr. Pipo

Post by Mr. Pipo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 am

Hi, im new in the forum and i wanna say something, recently bought drastic (today) and it was not because I could not get it for free (which is easy), but because if we do not collaborate, with the work they did, they can never continue to improve, and the effort has its price, I feel sorry that you have to make it opensourse, I hope you can continue to improve in the way that is possible.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 am

Mr. Pipo wrote:Hi, im new in the forum and i wanna say something, recently bought drastic (today) and it was not because I could not get it for free (which is easy), but because if we do not collaborate, with the work they did, they can never continue to improve, and the effort has its price, I feel sorry that you have to make it opensourse, I hope you can continue to improve in the way that is possible.
its not yet set in stone tho
Behold my mighty

glitchhaks

Post by glitchhaks » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:43 am

I have a suggestion as a feature within Drastic. The ability to stream to another device such as xbox one for example. The ability to view from a wifi connected device such as a television.

Steak_Typhoon

Post by Steak_Typhoon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm

glitchhaks wrote:I have a suggestion as a feature within Drastic. The ability to stream to another device such as xbox one for example. The ability to view from a wifi connected device such as a television.
You can do that with regular android, just use chromecast or something like that. It's got a long ping, but depending on the game, it's okay. I've play a few games with the bottom screen on my phone and the top screen on the TV.
If you really want to have a good experience with that though, you should get the nvidia shield tablet or shield portable. They both have mini HDMI output. It works really well playing Metroid Prime hunters with the touchscreen being the phone and the top screen being the TV. Use an external bluetooth controller for the buttons.
Steak Typhoon: The most delicious natural disaster.

BrandeX

Post by BrandeX » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am

Exophase wrote:For anyone interested in buying it (who hasn't yet) it may be worth waiting for this instead, since that would almost certainly mean it could be obtained for free later. But this isn't something I can really guarantee just yet.
This puts me in a quandary of whether to buy now or just wait a while. I have games to play in the meantime anyway.
How about a "Summer sale" for Drastic on Google Play?