WiFi-Feature Source Code maybe found

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
Re: WiFi-Feature Source Code maybe found

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 am

Jay Haru wrote: i would point out that the supposed code for wifi belongs to an open source project. exo may have to code it in a way that wont violate GPL. also just because someone sent him a code, it does not mean it is ok to use it. he has to ask permission to the melonds devs. also, knowing devs, they are kind of territiorial esp. if it goes against their principles (kind of like what happened with the retroarch guys). this is not as simple as one thinks it is.

if it was as easy as you all think, ask yourself why the other free emulators are not implementing this code when they much more fit the bill also being open source.
You do raise some good points, but this is still worth considering.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 pm

malek79a wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:
malek79a wrote: Do Exophase saw the code? What do you think?
I'll PM him this thread, see if that helps.
I send them it already :D
But, please send it again.

New from MelonDS-Developer:

"Go ASK the drastic guys"

But I ASK them if they can create one for drastic

WHERE IS THE LOGIC OF THE ANSWER??? :?:
DAMN! WE WERE SO CLOSE! :(
OBJECTION!

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:05 pm

And I know it is a stupid question but I don't know what are you refering to Wi-Fi. WFC or Wireless Communication? Because they are two diffrent things.
OBJECTION!

malek79a

Post by malek79a » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:08 am

I mean WFC. No problem :D

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Wouldn't be better to implement the Wireless Communication feature? Because one, it is supported by a large number of games(in comparison to the few games that support WFC), two, it would be easier to implement (correct me if I am wrong) and three, the WFC has been discontinued. But if they want to implement WFC AND Wireless Communication support it's fine for me.
OBJECTION!

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:03 pm

dsattorney wrote:
malek79a wrote:
ericbazinga wrote: I'll PM him this thread, see if that helps.

Everyone seems to be adamant that the melonDS developer can easily add this to Drastic DS so I just need to clarify a few things and hopefully clear up any misunderstandings:

Asking the melonDS developer to create WiFi code for drastic; Just to put this into context, its the equivalent of asking Microsoft to make all Windows programs work on a Macintosh. It simply doesn't work like that.

A developer cannot make an open source implementation of WiFi code work on a closed source emulator such as Drastic. If they don't have access to the source code of drastic, then they will not be able to code it in the first place because they won't be able to understand how the emulator works and how it might be added.

One must grasp the general idea of Software Development in order to ask questions like this.

And secondly, the melonDS developer has no obligation to add such a feature to Drastic DS even if it was open source.

Most open source projects are made in a developer's free time, often as a hobby, so their own projects often take priority.

Exophase will research into and/or add the feature when he feels it is appropriate and when he has his own implementation and therefore, waiting for his feedback is the best course of action.

I understand using the code from melonDS would be in violation of GPL, so he is going to need to come up with his own implementation or derivative.

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm no longer interested in WFC support anyway. Now I'm interested in Wireless communication support. kaikun97, how many things do we know about how Wireless Communication works? I'm asking you coz I have no idea.
OBJECTION!

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:08 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
dsattorney wrote:
malek79a wrote:

Everyone seems to be adamant that the melonDS developer can easily add this to Drastic DS so I just need to clarify a few things and hopefully clear up any misunderstandings:

Asking the melonDS developer to create WiFi code for drastic; Just to put this into context, its the equivalent of asking Microsoft to make all Windows programs work on a Macintosh. It simply doesn't work like that.

A developer cannot make an open source implementation of WiFi code work on a closed source emulator such as Drastic. If they don't have access to the source code of drastic, then they will not be able to code it in the first place because they won't be able to understand how the emulator works and how it might be added.

One must grasp the general idea of Software Development in order to ask questions like this.

And secondly, the melonDS developer has no obligation to add such a feature to Drastic DS even if it was open source.

Most open source projects are made in a developer's free time, often as a hobby, so their own projects often take priority.

Exophase will research into and/or add the feature when he feels it is appropriate and when he has his own implementation and therefore, waiting for his feedback is the best course of action.

I understand using the code from melonDS would be in violation of GPL, so he is going to need to come up with his own implementation or derivative.
His intention wasn't to ask the melonDS developers to create a code for DraStic's WFC support. His intention was for them to teach him how to create similar code and then he would send that code to Exophase for him to implement it onto DraStic. Therefore it wouldn't violating GPL.
And as ericbazinga would say:
ericbazinga wrote:You do raise some good points, but this is still worth considering.
OBJECTION!

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:51 am

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

Asking a dev to teach you how to code when one does not have proper experience in coding is pretty stupid. And no, even if melonDS dev does teach the guy that would not translate to DraStic wifi as already pointed out because of 2 things (license and different coding).

Additionally, would he pay the melonDS devs? he is after all, gonna learn some mad coding skillz from a pro. No? then good luck on your coding quest. Also, again, how would he know what programming language to code the wifi module? will he ask exo to a copy of his source? again, thats pretty stupid coz exo might as well tell the world drastic is now open.

Also, about quoting eric. no it is not worth considering as it is at this point.
Behold my mighty

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 am

Now that I think about it it makes sense. I think I totally misunderstood the facts. But then what is he trying to do? Please enlighten me if you can because I'm a little bit confused. :?:
Oh, and sorry about the eric quote.
OBJECTION!